Tuesday 31 January 2012

Dr Seuss - my best friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ahv_1IS7SiE


This morning I was inspired by a friend's post on the last Dr. Seuss book, Burning Man.

Dr Seuss was one of those sets of books that I can still return to time and time again, and find new pearls of wisdom. The first time I read one of his books it was at the Von Welligh Library in Johannesburg. This was 1976, I had just lost my mother and my father seemed to have abandoned us children.

My grandparents had taken us in and were trying their best to give us a better life. This included moving to Darragh House, the flats belonging to the Anglican Church, in Hillbrow, Johannesburg, South Africa. This was one of the few "grey areas" in Johannesburg where light skinned coloureds could hope to start a life as "whites".

Thus at the age of six, I was stuck in a small flat, not able to make friends with the neighbours, and missin my parents.

That's when I discovered "The Cat in the Hat". In Dr Seuss I had a new friend who still whispers in my ear:

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."


(Thanks Dave Duarte ;-)
The whole book can be watched at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ahv_1IS7SiE