The Legacy I Want to Leave: Building Systems That Help People Find What Belongs to Them

 "True success isn’t what you leave behind—it’s what continues to benefit generations after you’re gone."

 

When I look back at my journey, I realise that many of the things I have done started with a simple question: Why does the system work this way, and can it work better?

As a child, I found value in what others ignored. Those torn magazine covers and discarded floppy disks opened my eyes to the fact that information has value — even when someone else thinks it is no longer useful. Years later, that same thinking followed me into technology, databases, consumer rights, and now helping people find money that belongs to them.

Over the years, I have become convinced that one of the biggest problems in society is not always the lack of resources. Sometimes the problem is that the resources exist, but ordinary people do not know where to find them.

A person can work their whole life, contribute to a pension fund, have an insurance policy, inherit money, or be a beneficiary of an estate — and yet years later that money can sit somewhere untouched because nobody knows how to claim it.

That is where the idea started: create a system that connects people with what is already theirs.

For many years now, I have been working with information that is publicly available. In 2003, I started building a consumer database using information that was available through public sources. It was not about collecting secrets. It was about organising information that already existed, and using it to solve problems.

At the time, many people did not understand the importance of data. Today, everyone talks about databases, artificial intelligence, and digital platforms. But the real value of data has always been the same: helping people make better decisions.

A database is not just rows and columns. Behind every record is a person. Behind every name is a story.

This is why the work I am doing with unclaimed monies has become so important to me.

When people hear the words “unclaimed money”, they often think it belongs to someone else. They imagine it is complicated, or that the amounts are too small to worry about.

But behind every entry in a government gazette, every pension fund record, and every estate file, there is a person or a family who may be missing something that belongs to them.

Sometimes it is a pension benefit from a previous employer. Sometimes it is money from an estate. Sometimes it is simply a case where life moved on, addresses changed, and communication was lost.

The frustrating part is that the money is often already there. The challenge is creating the bridge between the institution holding the funds and the person who should receive them.

This is where technology, tracing, and organised information can make a difference.

My vision is not just to help one person at a time. My vision is to create a system where citizens can easily check what belongs to them, understand their rights, and get assistance when the process becomes complicated.

The same principle applies to consumer protection.

For years, I have watched consumers struggle because they do not know their rights. They sign contracts they do not understand, they pay fees they cannot explain, and they often do not know where to complain when something goes wrong.

A strong consumer database and information system can help identify patterns. It can show where problems are occurring, which industries generate complaints, and where laws or regulations need improvement.

Information gives citizens a voice.

Governments have databases. Companies have databases. Banks have databases. Pension funds have databases.

But ordinary citizens often do not have a system working for them.

That is the gap I want to help close.

When I started collecting information many years ago, I did not know exactly where it would lead. I was simply trying to solve problems. I was looking at information that others ignored and asking: “How can this help people?”

Today, that same philosophy continues.

Technology is not valuable because it is modern. Technology is valuable because it helps people.

A database is not valuable because it contains millions of records. It is valuable when one person receives a phone call saying: “We found something that belongs to you.”

That moment changes lives.

As a father, I often think about what legacy means. It is not only about leaving behind possessions or money. Those things can disappear.

A true legacy is leaving behind something that continues helping people after you are gone.

My hope is that my children will look back one day and understand that their father believed information should serve people. That systems should not only benefit organisations and institutions, but also ordinary citizens.

I want them to see that one person with a computer, some curiosity, and a belief that things can be improved can make a difference.

The journey started with torn magazine covers and free floppy disks.

Today it is about finding lost money, protecting consumers, and building bridges between people and the systems that are supposed to serve them.

The technology has changed.

The mission has not.

I kept the tone reflective and story-driven like your CNA/floppy disk blog, with the focus on systems, information, citizens, and legacy rather than making it sound like a corporate article.

The Legacy I Want to Leave: Building Systems That Help People Find What Belongs to Them

  "True success isn’t what you leave behind—it’s what continues to benefit generations after you’re gone."   When I look back at m...