Friday 4 February 2011

My life is good - living the jet-setting life in Düsseldorf

I am just finishing off this note then I am on my way to my flat here in Düsseldorf, Germany. The past few months have been an uphill battle to get here, but WOW, it was worth it.

This morning I woke up and looked out the window. (First, I must add, that the flat I am in has the most wonderful central heating;-) The view was one of the Rhine river and the skyline of Düssledorf. After a shower, small breakfast with some great coffee - it was off to work. My office is less than 10 minutes walk away and the pathway travels along the river almost the whole way.

At the office most of the collegues greet me and always have time to ask how I am getting along with the German langhuage, and the updating of my knowledge on their new software systems.

At lunch, have to choose from so many various types of bread to go with my chees and salami sandwich (Have decided to take the same filling, just change the bread everyday.)

After lunch, received my laptop (the iPad is not yet ready - damn) and the we finish work at 15:30.
Off for the weekend.

Now why am I telling you?

The past eleven years I have had a dream of creating a centralised computerised economic modelling system for countries in southern Africa. For most of this time, I have struggled and not been financially well off.

BUT, I have enjoyed myself. And when on days like these (85 days in EU), I must remember that all good things come to those who work for them.