Thursday 7 January 2010

Sssshhhh.... I know your home address

So now I have a database of over 750,000 Namibians with their full names, date of birth and physical addresses. (and you can too).

“A writer writes not because he is educated but because he is driven by the need to communicate. Behind the need to communicate is the need to share. Behind the need to share is the need to be understood.” - Leo Rosten

Reality Bites. No two ways about it. Started this new year with such good intentions and then someone, somewhere does it again.

Must I keep quiet about this (mis)managment of data in our country. You decide...

For the past twenty years, I have made it a hobby to collect databases of every kind on namibia. It started with busienss directories, trade information, consumer records, etc. This has become a substantial dbase with over 11,00 companies and 250,000 consumers. Much to my surprise, I discovered a rather easy way to get access to another 500,000 consumer records that inlcudes their home addresses and dates of birth.

Come on, now is the time to put in place a privacy and data protection laws!