Wednesday 14 August 2024

Meeting Michael Jackson

 I bought my first M-net decoder in 1992 when my first born Mikaila was about a year old. The live broadcast was a Michael Jackson show from Romania.

The aerial was not quite right so we would lose the signal and her mother would say, "Michael, Michael" while snapping her fingers until the picture would focus.
Mikaila started copying her and whenever she wanted to watch tv (naturally a Michael Jackson movie) she would try and snap her fingers and say something that sounded like ""Michael, Michael".
As Daddy's do - I promised to take her to meet Michael Jacskon.
A few years later I was the MD for Hazy Investments and part of the World Economic Forum held in Windhoek. As the first Secretary of the EPZ Committee and knowing Barden International, I was part of the inviting committee - for Michael Jackson.
The best part was that he would not attend unless he got the Presidential Suite - and guess who had booked that for his own guest - ME.
So I convinced my boss to change rooms and we had unparalleled access to the Michael Jackson entourage.
When asked where they can have dinner - I suggested our family favourite, 'Oportuga" owned by family friends. 
Daddy kept his promise.

First Posted: May 1998