Tuesday 6 October 2009

History of the Namibian Coloureds

"History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illumines reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life and brings us tidings of antiquity." - Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC), Pro Publio Sestio

For the past three months I have once again been staying Khomasdal, in what was the old coloured area of Windhoek. It has been really fun meeting up with some of my old friends, especially when we take part in the coloured sport of drinking. ;-)

I am staying directly behind my Grandmother's house, which is now owned by my Uncle. Most of the people staying in the four blocks around my flat are the same people who have been staying there for the past 30 years or more. The area itself has changed very little, and the business districts are made up of primarily retailers, take-aways, night clubs, bottle-stores and shebeens.

As I walk down memory lane and remember my past loves and sins, I realised very little of the history of the people has been written.

So If not me, then who?

I will thus be writing a book on the history of the coloured families and their influence on Namibia. It includes historical data,photographs and most importantly the personalities in politics, business, religion, education, etc.


Feel free to contact me on miltonlouw@gmail.com or join Coloureds in Namibia if you wish to collaborate.